Monday, November 10, 2008

Issue 5 and 6

I feel like giving up on my Brownies after that loss to Denver, I won't, but I feel like it.

Issue 5 was a really fun topic to write about. I choose to write about Moodle. It may seem like an easy way out to pick Moodle as my main subject matter, but in actuality, I have used it before and never really knew what I was using. This is my second class that I have had with Dr. Ingram in Moodle, but I just go through and use the discussion board, occassionally the wiki and read postings of assignments. Little did I know that Moodle is completely FREE to use and set-up. It is used world wide by over 25 million users. There are so many plug-ins to use and the creators will work with you to help modify plug-ins as needed. How great!

I also looked at other open source learning, such as WebCT, Blackboard and Angel. They come with a cost. I know they come with more protection than Moodle, but how can you beat FREE. I have been mentally preparing how I would run classes with Moodle. Specifically, quizzes. My mind spins with questions like, how can a quiz be designed for all 9th grade students, but some of them are Special Ed. and need modified tests. I am sure it could be done, but it makes you think.

On to Issue 6 as well. A needs assessment needs to be done about a general problem. I am going to look at improving Math scores. Teaching the teachers to use a district wide math software system, Orchard Math. Also, teaching the teachers how to properly teach the students the content using the software. Should be interesting, I am organizing my thoughts now.

Another busy week ahead!

No comments: